Undergraduate FAQ


1. What kinds of financial support are available for the Chinese Flagship Program (CFP)? What are the deadlines for these scholarships?

Students accepted into the Chinese Flagship Program will be eligible for support from the following sources:

  1. University Scholarships: Ohio State offers a variety of merit scholarships to academically competitive students.
  2. External Scholarships: Flagship students are often eligible for the scholarships. Most deadlines are in January and February for the following summer or academic year.

2. Are SAT/ACT scores required for my application?

Students must first be accepted to The Ohio State University. The OSU application stipulates requirements for official ACT or SAT scores. Applicants who have been out of high school for two or more years by their quarter of enrollment are not required to submit scores.

More information can be found at The Ohio State University undergraduate admission website.

3. What program should I choose in filling out the OSU application form?

Students should indicate they are interested in pursuing a non-language major. The knowledge learned in that program will be combined with the study of Chinese in the domain tutorial and capstone year components of the program. Many students choose to double major in Chinese, but this is not required.

4. What are the criteria for making admission decisions?

Admission and support will depend on the following, in descending order of importance: 1) Academic transcript; 2) Chinese language skill; 3) Academic or occupational area other than Chinese language.

5. How many words should my statement of purpose be?

The essay should not exceed 300 words.

6. Is there an interview that takes place with the application?

At this time there is no interview process for undergraduate students.

7. When does the academic year begin at OSU?

The Ohio State University Autumn Quarter begins in late September, although the school will begin using semesters in 2012. Exact dates for every year can be found at the University Calendar.

8. Do I need to attend the summer intensive program?

It depends on your level of Chinese when accepted into the program. Students that have never taken Chinese before are strongly encouraged to first attend the SPEAC summer intensive program that will train them to the “intermediate” level in preparation for autumn enrollment in second-level Chinese. This saves most students 1 year of language study, and possibly one year of college study.  More information can be found on the Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures website.

9. Is it acceptable for professors who have not had me in their classes to write recommendations?

Out of the two recommendation letters, students should have at least one from previous or current Chinese instructors who can verify their language abilities. The other general reference letter can be from any other individual who can speak well to the applicant’s strengths.

10. Can the letter of recommendation be in Chinese?

Yes, Chinese teacher recommendations may be written in Chinese.